You can watch a video of our announcement here
We are sure it will be no surprise to you to read that Norwich Pride will not happen on 25th July 2020. At least not in the format we all love. There will be no stalls, no march and no city centre entertainment on the day. We understand this will be a disappointment to our wonderful LGBT+ community and supportive allies, however, we do not think it is responsible to make demands on the local authorities, our volunteers, emergency services and other key partners at this difficult time. We all have more pressing priorities right now due to the Covid-19 crisis. Our priority as organisers, who are all volunteers, is to re-focus our energies on self-care, and supporting our families, friends, and neighbours.
We are facing an unprecedented time with lots of uncertainty and many lost opportunities to get together and celebrate. But we also know that Norwich is a unique place, and our reaction to this situation will also be unique. We therefore want to share some of our ideas to ensure a celebration of our community can take place, and we can still turn Norwich into a rainbow even if not face-to-face. We can begin some of these ideas now!
Creating a Virtual Pride
- Create a rainbow trail of flags and posters in every street across Norwich and share photos online so LGBT+ people know we are not alone.
- Work with local radio stations and media to ensure our voices are heard.
- Fly the rainbow flag across the city on the 25th July
- Keep sharing virtual events and ideas to connect people over the next few months
- Consider some kind of gathering (if allowed) later in 2020 and consider how we can support our local LGBT+ venues
Norwich is great place to live and the LGBT+ people who live here inspire us every day. We want to ensure Norwich Pride is visible and present for our community. We want to help us all get through this. Please share your ideas by emailing us email@example.com.
Thank you to the LGBT+ organisations and our allies who have already shown solidarity and support by signing and sharing our Norwich Pride Pledge. Please continue to do this, as the spirit of Norwich Pride lives on. Our mission is unchanged, we want to ensure that we live in a city where everyone can feel safe and proud to be themselves.