Lesbian Gay Bisexual Trans History Month takes place every year in February. It celebrates the lives and achievements of the LGBT community. 2014 is dedicated to music.
The team behind LGBT History Month are committed to celebrate its diversity and that of the society as a whole. They encourage everyone to see diversity and cultural pluralism as the positive forces that they are and endeavour to reflect this in all they do.
The following resources are available to support the teaching of LGBT History Month and to aid discussion:
- “LGBT History Month 2014” is a powerpoint for an assembly on the topic of music, centered around Gay composer Benjamin Britten and Bisexual rapper Azealia Banks. Features two video clips.
- “Gay History Timeline” is a Tarsia Puzzle where students have to match dates/ LGBT events. You need to download free from www.mmlsoft.com/index.php/products/tarsia to open. Also see the accompanying Word document. Excellent package for teachers.
- The “Mixing it up activity” is a PSHE lesson for all ages.
- “What is your own coming out story” PowerPoint is an English/ Literacy lesson. You would need to buy the Out140 little book of coming out stories to accompany the work. Another great resource made by Michelle Savage and Vince Laws. Teachers can email me (email@example.com) for info.
- “Famous LGBT People” PDF is a resource by www.exceedingexpectations.org.uk, useful as a prompt for discussion in form time.